Arrested for DUI? Call an Aggressive Sarasota DUI Lawyer for Help
Don’t face a DUI alone. We provide strong defense strategies to minimize penalties
An arrest and conviction for driving under the influence (DUI) in Sarasota can severely impact your life. You can face fines and a suspension of your driver license, as well as jail time. In addition, a conviction for driving under the influence may negatively affect you when applying for a job or when maintaining a professional license. Because so much is at stake, it is important to have a knowledgeable, aggressive Sarasota DUI lawyer on your side.
Our team of Sarasota DUI attorneys at Carlson, Meissner, Hart and Hayslett, P.A. includes attorneys designated with the prestigious AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®. We use our knowledge of the law and our extensive experience to help fight your DUI charges, minimizing the negative impact of your DUI arrest.
Consequences of a DUI conviction in Florida are serious
A conviction for driving under the influence in Florida can bring with it large fines, mandatory community service, loss of your driver license, and other penalties. A DUI lawyer in Sarasota from our law firm can minimize the negative effects. Below is an outline of some of the potential consequences of driving under the influence in Florida.
- Fines — The fines imposed differ depending on whether this is a first conviction. For a first conviction, the fine ranges from $500-$2,000, or up to $4,000 if your blood alcohol level is 0.15 or higher or you have a minor in the vehicle. Fines for subsequent convictions can exceed $5,000.
- Community Service — For a first conviction, there is a mandatory 50 hours of community service or additional fines.
- Probation — A first conviction can carry up to one year of probation.
- Imprisonment — Courts have some discretion in whether or not to imprison you for driving under the influence. Some courts will allow you to serve time in a residential alcohol or drug treatment facility in lieu of jail. A first conviction can result in a jail sentence of up to 6 months, or 9 months of the blood alcohol level was higher than 0.15 or there was a minor in the vehicle. Subsequent convictions can result in mandatory jail time or up to 5 years incarceration.
In addition to the above penalties, your driver license can be suspended if you do not request a court hearing within 10 days from the date you were arrested to apply for a hardship license to allow you to get to work. If you fail to request a hearing within the allotted time, your driver license can be suspended for up to 18 months. A DUI charge in Florida is serious, don’t try to fight it without a skilled Sarasota DUI lawyer who knows the system and can protect your best interests.
In Florida, a conviction of a DUI will remain on your record for 75 years.
Sarasota DUI lawyers offer tenacious legal representation for individuals accused of DUI offenses
In 2012, more than 44,000 people were arrested in Florida for driving under the influence. The police and the Florida court system take DUI offenses very seriously. Our Sarasota DUI attorneys pride themselves on an impressive record of success helping clients who are facing DUI convictions. We represent clients in all types of DUI matters, including:
- First time DUIs
- Repeat offenses
- DUI drivers under the age of 21
- Commercial driver DUI
- Out-of-state drivers
- Accidents and crashes
- DUI manslaughter
- Breathalyzer malfunction (We have our own Intoxilyzer 5000 to use during trials in order to demonstrate how Breathalyzer tests are administered and point out potential malfunctions due to improper maintenance.)
If you have been arrested for DUI, don’t hesitate, contact a skilled Sarasota DUI attorney today. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
If you have been arrested on a DUI charge, don’t jeopardize your future and your freedom. A DUI conviction has far-reaching penalties that can impact your life forever. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a Sarasota DUI lawyer at Carlson, Meissner, Hart and Hayslett, P.A. You may reach us via telephone at 941-202-4600 or by filling out our online form. Our attorneys are here to fight on your behalf. Se habla español.
When Experience Matters, Turn to Us
Main Office Clearwater
We are experienced trial lawyers and skilled negotiators with the resources necessary to take on even the largest case. Our attorneys will not back down when your future and your freedom is at stake. Clients throughout Florida have relied on us for steadfast legal representation with a personal commitment for more than 40 years. When you need help, we act quickly and decisively to secure the best possible results for you and your family. Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett, P.A., fighting for the injured and defending the accused since 1971.