Bradenton Workers Compensation Lawyers Advocate for Your Rightful Benefits After a Workplace Injury
Many Florida employers are required to carry workers compensation insurance
Injuries that happen on the job can be devastating not only to your health, but can threaten your financial security. Under Florida law, most employers are required to carry workers compensation insurance. In addition to the dedicated Bradenton workers compensation lawyers at Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett, P.A., our law firm also has a workers compensation investigator on staff to provide individualized attention to clients. We understand the hardship injured workers face and tenaciously fight for the workers compensation benefits you are entitled to.
Employers that must carry workers’ compensation insurance include:
- Employers in the construction industry with 1 or more employees
- Employers in an industry other than construction with 4 or more employees
- State or local government employers
What benefits can I receive from workers’ compensation?
- Medical care — Employees are entitled to receive necessary medical care and treatment related to a workplace injury. This includes:
Travel expenses to medical treatment
- Payment for work time lost — In most cases, you can receive benefits in the amount of 66% of your average weekly wages. Unless your disability keeps you out of work for more than 21 days, you are not paid for the first 7 days of missed time.
- Protection from retaliation — Florida law does not permit employers to fire or otherwise retaliate against you for filing a workers’ compensation claim.
It is important to know that you have a limited time to file a claim. You only have 30 days after the incident to file or the claim may be denied. An employer is required to notify the workers compensation insurance company within seven days of notification. If the company fails or refuses to contact the insurance company, you can do so directly.
What do I do if my workers compensation claim is denied?
Not every injury is covered by workers’ compensation benefits. Your claim may be denied by an insurance company for various reasons, including:
- An injury caused by your attempt to harm or kill another person or yourself
- A mental injury caused by stress or fright
- A request for pain and suffering damages
- An injury caused by your intoxication or use of drugs
- If you are an employee who is covered by Federal Employer’s Liability Act, the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ compensation act, or the Jones Act
When you are injured on the job, a difficult situation can become worse when an insurance company wrongfully denies your claim. Although a claim can be denied for a number of reasons, some of the more common reasons are that the insurance company:
- Denies that your injury occurred when the employee was on the job
- Alleges that the injury was caused by a preexisting condition
- Accuses the employee of committing fraud or misrepresenting an injury
If your claim is denied, you have the right to file a petition for benefits challenging the denial of your workers’ compensation benefits. Challenging a workers’ compensation denial is complex and requires skilled guidance. It is best to work with a knowledgeable Bradenton workers’ compensation attorney to help you navigate this process. If you have been disabled as a result of an injury and are unable to work, our Social Security disability attorneys can help you seek the benefits you need. If you have been injured in a car accident or motorcycle accident due to the negligence of another driver, our skilled personal injury attorneys can help you file a claim to receive the much-needed compensation you deserve in order to recover.
Contact a Bradenton workers compensation attorney to represent your interests and fight for the benefits you deserve
If you have experienced a workplace injury and your claim has been wrongfully denied, you deserve a strong advocate on your side that is not afraid to go up against the insurance companies. The Bradenton workers compensation attorneys at Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett, P.A. work with you to obtain the workers’ compensation benefits you deserve. We handle workers comp cases in Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice and throughout the Tampa Bay area. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. Contact our Bradenton office by telephone at 941-202-4600 or by filling out our contact form online. Se habla español.
When Experience Matters, Turn to Us
Main Office Clearwater
We are experienced trial lawyers and skilled negotiators with the resources necessary to take on even the largest case. Our attorneys will not back down when your future and your freedom is at stake. Clients throughout Florida have relied on us for steadfast legal representation with a personal commitment for more than 40 years. When you need help, we act quickly and decisively to secure the best possible results for you and your family. Carlson, Meissner, Hart & Hayslett, P.A., fighting for the injured and defending the accused since 1971.
For more information about our attorneys, our 5 Tampa Bay area locations and our practice areas, please see our main website at www.CarlsonMeissner.com